March 16, 2021
Gerry Stegmaier CUA history alum

Recognition of Gerard Stegmaier ’97 for his work in technology and data innovation

Washingtonian magazine recently published its list of the 250 “Most Influential People” in Washington.  Its list represents the “experts and advocates – outside the government – who’ll be shaping the policy debates of the years to come”.  The list includes Gerard Stegmaier, who earned his M.A. from the Department of History at Catholic University in 1997.

Gerry is a partner at Reed Smith LLP, an attorney and adviser specializing in data privacy and security and consumer protection.  The Washingtonian list included him in its section on the Tech and Telecom sector, placing him in the company of high-profile people such as Jay Carney (SVP, Global Corporate Affairs, Amazon, and former White House press secretary).

In Reed Smith's post celebrating Washingtonian’s designation, Sandy Thomas, the firm’s Global Managing Partner, commented that “Gerry’s selection to the Washingtonian’s list is a testament to his diligence, collaborative spirit, and visionary approach towards counseling clients on complex privacy and security issues, in a world where data and information are valuable assets.  He is truly an influencer, a highly sought-after advisor in the D.C. business community, and a proud representation of our firm.”

Gerry says “My time at Catholic University exposed me to ways of thinking and perspectives that were entirely new to me and opened my eyes in ways I previously couldn’t imagine.  I continue to try and improve every day as a listener and student because of these experiences in Gibbons Hall and around campus in the late 90s.”